Injection Molding Resin: Ultem™
Ultem™ is a family of polyetherimide (PEI) thermoplastic materials manufactured by SABIC. Like all PEI materials, Ultem™ is similar to PEEK, but with lower impact strength and a lower useable temperature. However, Ultem™ is a less expensive option than PEEK.
Properties of Ultem
- Long-Term Heat Resistance: Ultem™ maintains its physical and mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. Its glass transition temperature is 217°C (423°F).
- Strength & Stiffness: Exhibits greater strength than most other thermoplastics, and reliably maintains its strength and stiffness up to 200°C (392°F).
- Dimensional Stability: Ultem™ is one of the most dimensionally stable thermoplastics, predictable and reliable over an extremely broad temperature range.
- Resistance to Environmental Stress & Cracking: Even when exposed to alcohols, acids, solvents, aliphatic hydrocarbons, and automotive and aircraft fluids, Ultem retains its strength and resists cracking.
- Flammability, Smoke Generation & Toxicity: Ultem™ exhibits inherent flame resistance and is extremely difficult to ignite. When it does burn, it generates exceptionally low smoke that is no more toxic than wood smoke.
- Molding with Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber materials can incorporated into Ultem™ resin to enhance the physical properties of the molded parts.
Common Uses & Applications for Ultem™
- Micro molding
- Catheters parts & components
- Medical devices
- Insert molding
- Ultrasonic bonding
- Molding threads/threaded components
- Tight tolerance injection molding
Is Ultem™ Right for Your Project?
Despite its strength, stiffness, and heat resistance, Ultem™ is fairly easy to process. It is a very versatile material that is a good fit for a wide range of applications. The team at Stack Plastics has extensive experience in injection molding Ultem™, and can help you decide if this unique material is the best choice for your unique needs.
Ultem™ Alternative: Temppeclear™ Injection Molding Resin
Temppeclear™ is a relatively new PPE (polyphenylene ether) based material that provides excellent toughness and stiffness, as well as good load bearing properties, low water absorption, and high dimensional stability. It can be sterilized via autoclave repeatedly with no loss of or alteration to these characteristics. Temppeclear™ includes a unique nano-particle additive that improves these properties, makes it far easier to process than standard PPE, and allows for a range of colors that were previously unavailable with this material.
In general, Temppeclear™’s physical properties are very similar to those of Ultem™. The only significant difference between the two is that Temppeclear™’s specific gravity is lower by a good margin. Thanks to their similarities, Temppeclear™ can be used in many applications where Ultem™ has traditionally been used; it is also a common replacement for polysulfone. All ingredients in Temppeclear™ are FDA-compliant, making it an acceptable material for food and beverage related applications.
Depending on the application and performance requirements of your injection molded parts, Temppeclear™ can provide considerable cost savings over Ultem™, polysulfone, and other similar materials.
Contact Stack Plastics for Ultem™ Injection Molding
Ultem™ is a registered trademark of SABIC
Temppeclear™ is a registered trademark of The Resin Enterprise, Inc.