Ultem™ Injection Molding Resin
Injection molded Ultem™ plastic resin is a SABIC manufactured thermoplastic material. Like all PEI materials, Ultem™ is similar to PEEK, but with lower impact strength and a lower useable temperature. This premium quality plastic material is resistant to hot water and steam and can withstand repeated cycles in a steam autoclave. Ultem™ molding is a less expensive alternative to high-end PEEK plastic material.
Ultem™ is a highly-effective injection molding plastic. Our knowledgeable experts can provide you with more information regarding the Ultem™ molding material that you need to complete your job. Contact us for more information regarding Ultem™ injection molding or call us at 650-361-8600 and we will be happy to assist you with any questions that you may have.
Ultem™ Plastic Resin Beneficial Properties
With a wide range of Ultem™ material options, there is an Ultem™ resin that can meet or exceed your project requirement needs. The beneficial property features of Ultem™ plastic resin include the following:
- Long-Term Heat Resistance: Ultem™ maintains its physical and mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. Its glass transition temperature is 217°C (423°F).
- Strength & Stiffness: Exhibits greater strength than most other thermoplastics, and reliably maintains its strength and stiffness up to 200°C (392°F).
- Dimensional Stability: Ultem™ is one of the most dimensionally stable thermoplastics, predictable and reliable over an extremely broad temperature range.
- Resistance to Environmental Stress & Cracking: Even when exposed to alcohols, acids, solvents, aliphatic hydrocarbons, and automotive and aircraft fluids, Ultem retains its strength and resists cracking.
- Flammability, Smoke Generation & Toxicity: Ultem™ exhibits inherent flame resistance and is extremely difficult to ignite. When it does burn, it generates exceptionally low smoke that is no more toxic than wood smoke.
- Molding with Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber materials can be incorporated into Ultem™ resin to enhance the physical properties of the molded parts.
Ultem™ Injection Molding Advantages
Ultem™ plastic resin maintains many beneficial qualities, which makes it a highly useful material. Some of the direct benefits of utilizing Ultem™ injection molding material for your next project, include:
- High tensile strength
- Chemical resistance
- Heat resistance
- Thermal & chemical stability
- Good strength-to-weight ratio
- Flame retardant
- Easy to fabricate & machine
Ultem™ Injection Molding Thermoplastic Applications
Although Ultem™ provides good strength, stiffness, and heat resistance, it can be challenging to process and requires special machinery in order to reach the high temperatures required to properly process the material. It is a very versatile material that is a good fit for a wide range of applications. The team at Stack Plastics has extensive experience in injection molding Ultem™ and can help you decide if this unique material is the best choice for your unique needs. Some of the primary applications that directly benefit from the use of Ultem™, include:
- Micro molding
- Catheters parts & components
- Medical devices
- Insert molding
- Ultrasonic bonding
- Molding threads/threaded components
- Tight tolerance injection molding
Ultem™ Injection Molding Resin vs PEEK Plastic Material
There are several differences that separate Ultem™ from PEEK plastic material. Ultem™ is less expensive than PEEK, but it is also not as strong and does not respond as well to temperature changes. Certain Ultem™ grades have received aerospace certification. However, since they are both classified as exotic high-performance materials, they also share some similarities. Mainly that they are both extremely strong and resistant to a broad range of conditions.
Ultem™ Plastic Molding Options
Ultem™ is an amorphous thermoplastic polyetherimide (PEI) material which combines exceptional mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. Ultem™ resins are available in numerous grades, including:
- Ultem™ PEI
- Ultem™ 1000
- Ultem™ 1010
- Ultem™ 2200
- Ultem™ 2400
Ultem™ Alternative: Temppeclear™ Injection Molding Resin
Temppeclear™ is a relatively new PPE (polyphenylene ether) based material that provides excellent toughness and stiffness, as well as good load bearing properties, low water absorption, and high dimensional stability. It can be sterilized via autoclave repeatedly with no loss of or alteration to these characteristics. Temppeclear™ includes a unique nano-particle additive that improves these properties, makes it far easier to process than standard PPE, and allows for a range of colors that were previously unavailable with this material.
In general, Temppeclear™’s physical properties are very similar to those of Ultem™. The only significant difference between the two is that Temppeclear™’s specific gravity is lower by a good margin. Thanks to their similarities, Temppeclear™ can be used in many applications where Ultem™ has traditionally been used; it is also a common replacement for polysulfone. All ingredients in Temppeclear™ are FDA-compliant, making it an acceptable material for food and beverage related applications.
Depending on the application and performance requirements of your injection molded parts, Temppeclear™ can provide considerable cost savings over Ultem™, polysulfone, and other similar materials.
Contact Stack Plastics for Ultem™ Injection Molding
Ultem™ is a registered trademark of SABIC
Temppeclear™ is a registered trademark of The Resin Enterprise, Inc.