Injection Molding Resin: Polycarbonates
Polycarbonates (PCs) are a group of tough, strong thermoplastic polymers. The molecular structure of these materials provides high stiffness, good thermal resistance, and relatively high viscosity during processing. Despite this, polycarbonates are generally easy to work with via molding and thermoforming, making them popular materials for a wide range of applications.
Properties of Polycarbonates
- Excellent toughness
- High impact strength
- Excellent strength retention at elevated temperatures
- Stronger and less brittle than acrylic materials, with longer resistance to temperature extremes
- High heat resistance
- Naturally transparent (light transmission similar to glass)
- High tensile, shear, and flexural strength
- Low deformation under load
- Excellent creep resistance
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
- Good dielectric properties
- Low moisture absorption
Common Applications for Polycarbonates
- Equipment housings
- Automotive components
- Lighting fixtures
- Brackets and structural components
- Eyeglass lenses
- Medical tubing
- Electrical connectors and insulators
- Instrument covers
Are Polycarbonates Right for Your Project?
Stack Plastics has many years of experience in injection molding with polycarbonate materials. We deliver precision polycarbonate parts for a wide range of applications. Our expert team will work with you to determine if polycarbonates are the best material for your specific needs.
Contact Stack Plastics
For more information about polycarbonate materials or to get started on your project, contact Stack Plastics today.